Old 25th November 2005, 11:13   #1
TanyaT
The Forum Mistress

Default Rooney is ready to spend next 10 years at Old Trafford

Rooney is ready to spend next 10 years at Old Trafford

Mark Tallentire and Ewan Murray
Friday November 25, 2005
The Guardian

Wayne Rooney yesterday said he was prepared to commit himself to Manchester United for the next 10 years. "I don't see any reason why I won't be [here]," he said. "It's a massive club with a massive fan base and we've got a lot of good young players. Hopefully we're going to keep getting better." Rooney, who is under contract at Old Trafford until 2010, added that he hoped this season would see him collect a first major club honour.

"I joined Manchester United to win trophies and medals," said the 20-year-old, a losing FA Cup finalist with United in May. "Hopefully Chelsea will drop a few points and we can get close or even catch them. If we win our game in hand it's a seven-point gap and there's a lot of games left."
United's manager Sir Alex Ferguson has distanced himself from speculation about his succeeding Alex McLeish at Rangers. "I'll retire when I leave Man United," said the 63-year-old Scot, a former Ibrox centre-forward. If Rangers beat Internazionale at Ibrox in a fortnight's time they will become the first Scottish club to reach the Champions League knockout stages.

The FA is to write to clubs warning managers and officials they are no longer allowed to own shares in player agents' businesses. There will be a transitional period for the sale of stock, but those who continue to hold it would not be allowed to engage that agent to act on their behalf.

"This is a step in the right direction but only amounts to a declaration of good intentions," said Jon Holmes, chief executive of SFX agency. "The big challenge will be when it comes to strictly enforcing these regulations. The FA would appear to be relying upon the willingness of all agents to be transparent in every deal and I am sceptical this can be achieved."

Kia Joorabchian's proposed takeover of West Ham has failed to materialise. Media Sports Investments - the consortium led by the Iranian-born businessman - told the stock exchange it believed it would not be able to reach a consensus on the valuation with West Ham's directors.

Southampton's first monthly board meeting since the departure of Sir Clive Woodward's former right-hand man Simon Clifford passed peacefully yesterday with the club hoping to draw a line under their difficulties.

The Hearts chairman Roman Romanov has admitted that the club already have a director of football in place and hope to unveil him soon. Speaking at a meeting of the club's Shareholders Association, Romanov said "he is helping us and is well known in UK football".

------------------------
TanyaT is offline   Reply With Quote