graphic border

Go Back   MUST - the independent Manchester United supporters' trust > ALL ABOUT UNITED > Manchester United video clip forum

View Poll Results: How should we make the video section work
Per JD's instructions in the first post: http://www.joinmust.org/forum/showpo...05&postcount=1 2 50.00%
As Tat suggested: http://www.joinmust.org/forum/showpo...0&postcount=11 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th December 2006, 16:41   #11
Seamonkey
wants an early retirement

If you're not fussed, I'm not. It would be nice to see videos in the forum posts rather than have to go externally but I can understand not wanting to be overrun with them.

I always think it's easier to slowly integrate something into different areas than it is to let all hell loose and take it out from places you don't want it, but then I can't see anyone complaining on here either way.
Seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 22:27   #12
Tat
aka Carlos, the MUST Video Librarian

Now that we have all the techie stuff out of the way...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jddphd View Post
What I'd like to do is to separate each of these videos out so that each clip has its own thread.
This is okay if there are only a few videos but if there are lots, which there will hopefully be in the future, it will be a pain for people to find what they want. Yes, I know there is a search facility but the last thing we want is newbies being exposed to a complex system (although perky is v. helpful obv.). If it looks like a massive unorder list it will put people off.

Here is what I would suggest. I think that three forums (or subforums) are required. The first is where people post a video and people can chat about it (maybe this should be the MUST/United discussion board). There are then two 'archive' forums, one for player specific videos, one for other videos. So in the players forum there is a 'Paul Scholes Videos' thread. In this each post is one video, with a description, the video embedded (or linked) and possibly one or two of the comments from the original discussion thread if relevant.

Then when a video thread drops off the first page of the discussion board the thread can be archived.

Quote:
Please offer your suggestions or volunteer now!
I didn't think you were allowed to offer suggestions without offering to volunteer! I don't mind helping out with sorting side of the operation. If somebody gives me the relevant permissions (and tells me how to do the embedding) then I will split Seans post up into a separate post on this forum to start with.
________
Kdx200

Last edited by Tat; 23rd February 2011 at 10:03.
Tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 02:03   #13
J.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat View Post
Now that we have all the techie stuff out of the way...

This is okay if there are only a few videos but if there are lots, which there will hopefully be in the future, it will be a pain for people to find what they want. Yes, I know there is a search facility but the last thing we want is newbies being exposed to a complex system (although perky is v. helpful obv.). If it looks like a massive unorder list it will put people off.

Here is what I would suggest. I think that three forums (or subforums) are required. The first is where people post a video and people can chat about it (maybe this should be the MUST/United discussion board). There are then two 'archive' forums, one for player specific videos, one for other videos. So in the players forum there is a 'Paul Scholes Videos' thread. In this each post is one video, with a description, the video embedded (or linked) and possibly one or two of the comments from the original discussion thread if relevant.

Then when a video thread drops off the first page of the discussion board the thread can be archived.
Maybe I'm being thick but I don't understand how this is any more organised?

The other thing that this doesn't do which I thought would be useful is that if we do it as one thread per video we can use the ratings system to assign ratings to the video.

Quote:
I didn't think you were allowed to offer suggestions without offering to volunteer! I don't mind helping out with sorting side of the operation. If somebody gives me the relevant permissions (and tells me how to do the embedding) then I will split Seans post up into a separate post on this forum to start with.
Too right! You're drafted! You now have moderator privileges for this forum!

J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 02:19   #14
Tat

Quote:
Maybe I'm being thick but I don't understand how this is any more organised?
Maybe it isn't more organised.
Quote:
The other thing that this doesn't do which I thought would be useful is that if we do it as one thread per video we can use the ratings system to assign ratings to the video.
Giving them ratings is probably a better way of ranking them. I didn't realise you could do that.
Quote:
Too right! You're drafted! You now have moderator privileges for this forum!
I've had another idea on this subject. How about having one thread which has all the goals from the season. I have started to get some links and will try to put example up...
Old 6th December 2006, 02:20   #15
J.D.

so let's put it to a vote then - i've modified my recommended instructions a bit but if others believe it should be otherwise i'm not bothered.

Old 6th December 2006, 02:22   #16
J.D.

i'm winning right now by the way.

Old 6th December 2006, 02:40   #17
Tat

Quote:
i'm winning right now by the way.
I am coming round to your way of thinking as well. Especially for player videos although I like the idea of a season review.
________
Hinopak motors

Last edited by Tat; 23rd February 2011 at 10:04.
Old 6th December 2006, 02:43   #18
J.D.

Quote:
I am coming round to your way of thinking as well. Especially for player videos although I like the idea of a season review.

I'm irresistible. But I quite like your idea of the Season Review as well if we can keep it in sequential order.

Old 6th December 2006, 03:24   #19
J.D.

bit of a slog catch up with the season innit.

or is it going ok?

Old 6th December 2006, 03:26   #20
Tat

Does it look better with the images embedded for each entry like this

Or with a series of links to the individual clips like this

The first method will end up with images stored twice but the second method means you have to make two clicks and open lots of windows.
________
SVT CONTOUR

Last edited by Tat; 23rd February 2011 at 10:05.