graphic border
Old 18th August 2007, 09:50   #1
TanyaT
The Forum Mistress

Default Scudamore in line of fire as Joorabchian seeks answers

Scudamore in line of fire as Joorabchian seeks answers
Gary Jacob The Times
August 18, 2007

Kia Joorabchian is willing to fund an inquiry into the Carlos Tévez affair to clear up inconsistencies that appear to remain. Speaking for the first time since the forward moved from West Ham United to Manchester United, Joorabchian accused Richard Scudamore, the Premier League chief executive, of breaking the organisation’s constitution.

Joorabchian, who represents the two companies that hold Tevez’s “economic rights”, believes that his image and that of third-party investment companies has been blotted by the League’s handling of the matter, and blames Scudamore.

“Scudamore has, in an indirect way, made suggestions and dragged me, West Ham, my players through the mud,” Joorabchian said. “It has clouded people’s perceptions of me. I want an inquiry and if the clubs agree, I’m willing to finance it. We have nothing to hide. I am asking for transparency.”

He has questions for Scudamore. “Why were we never asked for paper-work?” he said. “Why would Scudamore want to continue to conduct the affairs of West Ham in relation to Carlos after the club had been fined for breaches? Is there something to hide?”

Joorabchian also said that the League had no right to intervene when Tévez wanted to move to Manchester United. “They insisted on a transfer from West Ham, then tried to determine the price. That is not their role, and it is against the constitution of the League.”

The League has since changed the rules, so that it receives documents relating to player registration. “Scudamore said that the policy is to let him be the judge,” he said. “Does that mean, if I’m a friend of the chief executive I can get it passed?”

Joorabchian would be happy for third-party ownership to be outlawed in England, if clubs wanted that, but added: “We provide an opportunity for a club who can’t afford £30 million players to have them. I wanted to create a new style of business.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle2280403.ece