graphic border
Old 25th January 2008, 11:59   #1
TanyaT
The Forum Mistress

Default Managers hail Burley appointment

Managers hail Burley appointment
BBC, 24 January 2008,

George Burley's appointment as the new Scotland manager has been welcomed by a number of SPL club managers.

"George is a good appointment. He's a manager with experience in England and Scotland - which is a big advantage," said Kilmarnock boss Jim Jefferies.

Aberdeen boss Jimmy Calderwood added: "He's a quiet person, but very studious about the game."

Hibs manager Mixu Paatelainen said: "He's been in the Premiership and took Ipswich to Europe, which is great."

Southampton chief scout John Gorman has tipped Burley to be a success in his new role.

Burley, who was named as Alex McLeish's successor on Thursday, leaves after just over two years as Southampton boss with Saints 13th in the Championship.

"He's very passionate about Scotland and it's an unbelievable opportunity," Gorman told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"He has such a good name up there and the kind of football and quality of football he plays is clear to see."

Burley, who previously managed Ipswich, Derby and Hearts, was on a four-man shortlist that also included Mark McGhee, Graeme Souness and Tommy Burns.

St Mirren manager Gus MacPherson said Burley was the dark horse for the post, adding that his managerial record was "exceptional".

"With the group of players he's got to work with and from speaking to people, his management style should really suit the players," said MacPherson.

"It's an exciting time and we've all got to support him."

Former Scotland manager Craig Brown also supports Burley's appointment and told BBC Radio 5 Live: "His track record is very sound, but what is particularly good about George is his man-management. He always gets the best out of players."

Ipswich chairman David Sheepshanks, who saw Burley enjoy success at Portman Road from 1994 until 2002, said he was a fiercely patriotic man.

"He has many skills to bring to the job," Sheepshanks added.

"He has worked at the top level in England and Scotland, has a good knowledge of European football and has been a club boss for many years.

"Everyone at Ipswich wishes him well."

McGhee, many people's favourite to land the job, admitted it was a blow to miss out.

"It's a huge disappointment because I felt I was very close," said the Motherwell boss, who was told that Burley would beat him to the job by the media.

"At times, I was given the impression I was very, very close."

Speaking to BBC Radio Scotland on Tuesday, he added: "All I can say is congratulations to George.

"I think he will be a terrific Scotland manager and I will do all I can to help him.

"I remain very proud to have been considered and if George does not win the World Cup then it opens it up for me to be the one who does."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/7206488.stm